Saturday, June 22, 2013

Vintage 1950s Sofa Reupholstery Project: Mint Green Velvet Part 2

Done! Well, my part is done. I dropped off the remainder of the material at the upholster to have the sofa cushions made. They should be back in ~1 week. I love the Sunbrella mint green outdoor velvet, but it is WAY too thick for my little sewing machine to handle (in multiple layers, the just manageable).






I finished the edges using this ply grip . Which is awesome.




The decking was originally tensioned with buttons. I'm kicking myself for not taking more pictures of the 'during'. A cord was nailed into place and run lengthwise on the top 1/3 of the sofa (under the dust cover). I tied the buttons with waxed string.


For the bottom edge, I choose to do a double welt in contrasting black linen. If I 1) had enough of the mint green velvet, and 2) could have made decent double welted velvet piping I would have gone with the self welting. I had experimented with the velvet double welt, but the fabric sort of rolls out of shape and is difficult to get a nice snug welt. I think the black works though.




1 comment: